9 Advantages of Stainless Steel over Other Metals
Stainless steel is appropriately named, as it is a type of steel that has the unique ability to resist stains and corrosion. There are multiple applications where stainless steel is used exclusively, and replacing it for other metals can only cause loss of quality as the stainless steel casting process is superior to other metals by a wide variety of factors.
Stainless steel products are remarkable due to their presence in almost all the industries known to the human mind. Some of the industries to mention include automotive, medical, aviation, food processing, and dairy, oil and gas and many more sectors. This ubiquity of SS is attributed to its unique benefits which give it an edge over other metallic alternatives in the market. Let’s talk about the benefits of stainless steel.
- Greater Variety of Grades: While iron and other metals have different grades, stainless steel comes in a far greater variety. There are different types of stainless steel to serve different purposes, making it possible to choose a steel type that matches your needs exactly. Temperature resistance, surface strength, flexibility, and other factors may differ as the client dictates. Stainless steel’s main categories are austenitic, ferritic, martensitic, precipitation-hardening and duplex alloys.
- Cost for Value: Probably the biggest advantage of working with stainless steel is its value. Though it has a high upfront cost, that cost is spread out over a longer lifespan than other comparable materials. This makes stainless steel a more economical choice in the long run. The casting process of stainless steel is comparatively faster and allows it to achieve extreme precision. If we compare, casting an iron part will require a lot of finishing work to be done, but in the case of SS, only minor finishing is required. As a result, production costs and time are reduced dramatically. This can be a considerable bonus in some industries where you depend on quick turnarounds.
- Anti-Corrosion properties
- There are different corrosion-resistant properties associated with different grades of stainless steel. This resistance is because of the invisible layer of chromium oxide that makes them stainless and corrosion-resistant. The percentage of chromium determines how resistant the steel is in corrosive environments. Lower percentages will work well in wet environments while higher percentages are required for acidic or alkaline environments.
- The anti-corrosion and rust-resistant properties are very crucial to food processing, chemical as well as oil and gas industry where there is a lot of contact between the acid released and the material that is used in processing(machinery) and the tanks to contain the various products specific to each of them.
- Durability : Anti-corrosive properties of this material enhance its durability, and prevent it from succumbing to rust or the exposure to pollutants. The durability of SS parts is exceptional and far exceeds that of other metals and alloys. Where you may save on purchasing iron parts in the short term, you can be sure of a more considerable loss in the long run. This loss can be prevented by choosing stainless steel.
- Strength to weight ratio : Another major benefit of using stainless steel materials is the significant strength-to-weight advantage over other material options. Along with other properties of stainless steel, duplex grades are the best in strength and also allow for a reduced thickness in the material. This grade provides a cost advantage over conventional grades of stainless steel and other metals.
- Environment friendliness or recyclability : Stainless steel is 100% recyclable. In today’s environment-conscious world, these benefits make stainless steel a welcome choice for eco-friendly construction projects. Recycled steel uses less energy to refine, purify, and shape components. The strength of steel is not compromised when it is recycled.
- Hygienic property : Hygiene qualities of stainless steel make it perfect for use in the spheres where hygiene is given utmost importance. Kitchens, food processing plants, hospitals, medical offices, surgical centers, and other industries rely heavily on stainless steel for easy cleaning and sterilization.
- Heat and fire resistant : Stainless steel’s resistance to high temperature makes it a popular choice in the chemical processing of oil and gas industry for various heat exchangers, boilers, valves, and other applications where a high level of heat is released.
- Aesthetically pleasing : There’s a reason that many household appliances feature stainless steel, as it creates a visually-pleasing ambiance in any space. Brassware and copper utensils can also be used but over time, they are subject to corrosion and also need a lot of maintenance.
Money is tight for many businesses including mechanical, factory-based and all other types of industries. They rely on equipment to work properly and not break down. Their goals are to generate better products in an efficient, cost-effective manner while preserving profits. Stainless steel helps you achieve such positive production and financial goals with little to no maintenance and upkeep costs.
If you are looking for stainless steel manufacturers and suppliers, Venus wires would be your best choice. With their fair share of experience and expertise working with stainless steel, they can help you find the right mix of material made with specifications customized for you. For further details, feel free to contact us by visiting the Venus Wires website.